Writing about things I love and things I didn't know - oh and things I want to eat and cook

Monday 23 February 2015

Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?



George Frederic Handel was born on this day in 1685. Wikipedia gives a great account, not least of a feature of his work very close to my heart,  a performance of The Messiah in  1750 to benefit The Foundling Museum. It is well worth a visit if you happen to be nearby, I love it. We could do with a few Thomas Corams today ?

John Keats dies on the 23rd of February 1821 in Rome, of tuberculosis aged 25. A comprehensive account of his life and work here.


On February the 23rd 1886 The London Times published the first classified advertisement.


Emile Zola. Les Rougon-Macquart. The delicious Le Ventre de Paris. He attended the same College as Paul Cezanne. He was found guilty of libel on this day in 1898 as a consequence of his letter 'J'Accuse'.





Today is the feast day of the rather marvellously named St. Polycarp.


I planted the horseradish. Sunflowers too, tomatoes and broad beans. Horseradish got me to thinking of beef and then I found and now adore this.


I just love this from The Guardian. The title really made me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment